Sinnerman

There are tings we can't control. I was going to talk about something today, i had all figured out, it was going to be well written, clearly exposed, a piece of writing. Now i don't want to talk about it, i don't even know what was all about. Just because of two words, "Nina Simone".

Someone told me those words today and then it came back to me more things i have forgotten. I just had to listen and listen and listen, and recall. I do know the songs, i can even tell some parts of the lyrics, and i have forgotten that. How did it happened?

I just can't stop now. I had to watch "The Thomas Crown Affair", the second one, with Rene Russo and Pierce Brosnan, directed by some blockbuster maker. It was the song "Sinnerman".

That song is in all of the movie, first bits and pieces, here and there. Then, one of the final sequences is choreographed to the song. This movie is a movie powered by a great script. It has lines like "Peter Pan decided to grow and found no place to land" said by Faye Dunaway, ex Catherine Banning, now Crown's doctor.

Another scene with a great line is when Catherine goes to meet Thomas in a Bulgary black and white ball. She comes with a black dress and a red scarf. They are dancing some boring music, she come, in steals Thomas, the music changes to a rumba, the lighting is then, suddenly, spot and the air becomes heavy and dark. They dance and in the final Thomas says "Do you dance or... do you dance".

What we see here is a voyage from "rive droite" to "rive gauche". I love Paris, i love "rive gauche". It's interesting to see that Thomas steals an impressionist painting, like the ones in "Musee d'Orsay", not the "Mona Lisa". He his a guy that fits in the "rive gauche".

I don't like the "rive droite". I only allow four exceptions, Montmartre, a bookstore in the Champs-Elysées, Tulheries and Ozu. Thomas lives in "Avenue Foch", he can't fit in, he will never fit in. He can be successful, but will always have something missing. He must cross to the other side. I have been living in the wrong side of the river. I left all for a love that never was. Now i am crossing. I am going back home.

Comments

Kristi said…
My ? is who is Nina Simone ? What am I missing ? I'm so uncool this Nina Simone might be someone totally apart of our pop culture and I would never know ? Or is it a phrase or a name in another language ?

Popular Posts