About China

One of these days i was challenged in a comment to a blog post to tell my opinion on the China and Tibet affair and clear, if i can, the portuguese position on it. I can only talk about myself. I am not anymore than myself. Some years ago a friend send me a link to subscribe the Free Tibet web. I did it and i have been receiving by mail some regular updates on the subject. Nevertheless i didn't thought about it much. I imagined that there where some territorial issues that arouse from the annexation of Tibet by China, some Human Rights problems, the Dalai Lama and China's position on the subject.

The last weeks there have been prodigal in the news. They also have been prodigal in violence and manifestations. That and a couple of other things made me think about all of this. One that i must leave clearly before i start is that i don agree with any form of violence, for whatever reason. Period.

My first point is a very simple one. China invaded Tibet. She had the means, so she did it. Period. if it wasn't China it would have been others. If a country doesn't use that ability, someone will and one day they might find themselves in the weak position. China did well. I would have done the same. I don't condemn that decision.

The second point is the Olympic Games. They are a politic statement at least since Berlin in the 1930's, so i don't condemn those that use them to pass the message of the human rights in Tibet. China government is also using them to pass their own message.

The third point was brought to me by a news article. In that article the Dalai Lama states that the Tibet issue is not about who rules Tibet. Who rules Tibet is China.

So, i must make my conclusions based on those facts. If the Tibet issue is not about creating a sovereign country in Tibet, then Tibet is a region of China, like the Chinese government says. That position must be respected. Now we have the human rights issue. My first question is what human rights, those Tibet? How about China, after all they all are chinese. I guess China as issues with human rights, probably big ones also. Why not talk about them? Why not talk about Guantanamo and all? Human rights are human rights everywhere. We, as mankind, have things to work on, so lets work on them, not throw stones and demonise each others. Those that do that are using or being used.

As a final word i must say that i agree with the Dalai Lama. The violence must stop. Period. There are more important things for us to do, problems to be solved everywhere. Using the others or letting someone use us is just a waste of time, it won't get us nowhere. It will just make a few closer to their hidden agenda.

Comments

Popular Posts