A couple eating in a corner



I love this picture.

I know, it's not sharp, it not well focused, it's not technically good. I even shouldn't like it because I took it with a digital camera. But I love this picture. It was taken in Amsterdam during dinner in a small restaurant.

I remember that day. As usual, my wife was complaining about something, probably that our daughter wasn't eating enough. I remember that we entered in this restaurant after trying some others that where full. This didn't helped the mood. We travelled to Amsterdam with all the family, mother in law, my wife's sister and husband included. On the street outside people where shouting at each other on some pointless question. I the noticed those two in a corner. I had to get the camera in some strange position, looking through the screen I took the picture with telephoto setting and maximum opening, no flash, trying not to be noticed.

This picture doesn't have anything special about it. I know, is another photo, so why do I like it so much? I like it because of another day, many years before and thousand kilometres from Amsterdam. It was a summer night, in a bar that had just opened in a beach town. As normal, the bar was full of loud teenagers during summer break. When I was there I notice a couple in a table in front of me.

I took this picture because I remembered that day. They where the opposite. Now was winter, people where fighting outside, this couple was in a corner, they where facing each other, each eating their dinner, the girl looks young and tired.

The couple of many years was old, but not of number of years they lived, they where old in life. If I had to guess how old they where, I would have to say something between 40 and 80. They had an hard life marked on their faces, they had little, they where looking at all those carefree people entering, they where shearing a beer, they where side by side and they had the most serene and happy faces I ever saw.

I took this picture because I remembered them. I like this picture because I remember them.

Comments

Popular Posts