Hacking the brain

I don't know if it's because i am a little drunk on the Swedish vodka or just the headache, but i feel the need to write about this. I been with the subject in background for some days now. I guess it's time to come out.

I am reading "Shismatrix", from Bruce Sterling and thinking about "Snow Crash", so the question is appropriate, "Can we hack the brain ?" I mean can we directly alter the flow of thought by external means, like in a stack overflow ?

My bet is that we can, and we do it, even if we never noticed it.

It keeps popping into my mind two things. One is the warning on some video games, something like "This video game can cause epileptic attacks on sensitive people". The other is that our eyes are part of our brain structure. As we can see there is an entry point and a input method, we just need the know-how. When we get the know-how maybe we can make brain software virus and control the flow of a people's thought and actions.

There is also one very primitive method that we all now about. it was used in advertising and dropped by law, it's the subliminal messages. If we think about it they do change our programming by stealth means, they do change our brain's behaviour. So, now we have two methods, and one was good enough to be used commercially.

Maybe i am just a little drunk tonight, i can't imagine myself being comfortable using anti-virus goggles.

Comments

Popular Posts