Charola

Charola

I am writing this more than a month after. I needed a little distance to write about the visit to Convento de Cristo. It was strange. I got more and less than i what i was expecting.

Convento de Cristo is really worth a visit. It features a lot of interesting and intriguing stuff. It's a place with arabic names for places, with a special architecture and a lot of history. I learned a lot from the place. One of the most interesting was that one of most important the courts in portuguese history where held there, the one that settled the transition to spanish monarchy. It was strange to be on the same roofless room that held the kings and knights for such an important event. It was even stranger to see that they never finished the room after that day.

I found interesting the division between upper and lower floors, up for the knights and lower for the monks. I found interesting the tomb of a free mason inside the convent and the water reservoir.

I got disappointed because i didn't had the change to see the Charola. It was one of the reasons of my travel. Maybe it was not the right time for me to see it.

Comments

Popular Posts